Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Dog Named Chomsky

August 9th will forever be a day that sinks into my heart like a stone.

In early May of 2011 my girlfriend and I got a new foster dog.  We have been fostering for a local pet rescue for a couple years now and love the difference we are making in the lives of so many animals.  Well our new foster dog was an adorable little 60lb muscle with four legs.  He came into our home and instantly won us over with how sweet he was.  I try not to get too attached to our fosters so that when we adopt them out it's not so hard for me to let them go.  Sometimes the dogs help out by being difficult on me so by the time they go I'm glad to see them get a good home at the same time I'm glad that they are out of my apartment.  So with our new foster nothing had changed and my defenses were up.

Over the next few months we would learn just how little our defenses could withstand from this tiny guy.  He had these adorable quirks that were instantly lovable.  When Alecia and I would get in bed he would jump in bed with us, lay down, army crawl up to our faces, and then just lay there.  When you pet him he would look into your eyes and you just knew that he loved you with everything he had.  It was a sight that made your heart melt inside your chest.  

So as time went on I began to let myself go more and more around him.  Sure there were moments where he really got under my skin and the thought of him going to a good home seemed even more desirable but feelings such as those quickly disappeared once he started kissing my face.  Over time Alecia and I took him as one of our own, and he became part of our family.  Little Chomsky completed us, and he opened us up to his heart and we let him into ours.  It was a great thing.
Unfortunately Chomsky is no longer with us.  On August 9th, 2011 he had to be put down.  Now at this point I knew I liked him, but I didn't know just how much.  I woke up that morning and while Alecia got ready for her day I sat with him, petting the top of his head and feeding him jo jos (his last meal) while he looked at me and let me know he loved me.  Alecia took him that morning, and I knew what was going to happen to him.  It wasn't until the door closed behind them that it really hit me:  I will never see this dog again.  Never again will I get to pet him, or feed him treats for being a good boy.  Never again will I get to cuddle up with him and watch him dose off in a state of pure happiness simply because he got to lay with Alecia and I.  These thoughts flooded my eyes and I began to cry.

Driving to work that morning I was crying.  Sitting at my desk at work I was crying.  Leaving work early to go home because I was such a wreck I was crying.  Sitting on my couch with Alecia cheering me up I was crying.  That seems to be all I did that day.  And now it's day two of him being gone and I still miss him.  I realize now just how much I loved him and just how much he meant to me.  He touched my soul in a way that I've never experienced before.  I'm very proud to have let him into my life and I pray to the heavens above that he knows just how much we loved him.  I'm sure he does.  

So my dear Chomsky I just want you to know that we miss you greatly and we will never forget you.  We love you with all our hearts and can't wait to see you again.  Stay playful buddy, and keep those kisses ready because when we see you we'll have a lot of catching up to do.
R.I.P. my friend.  My pet.  My dog.  Chomsky...you were best.

No comments:

Post a Comment